A two-time All-PAC-12 member known for the historic UCLA run in the 2021 NCAA Tournament, Johnny Juzang thrived following his transfer from Kentucky. As a junior, Juzang averaged 15.6 PPG, 4.7 RPG, 1.8 APG, 0.7 SPG, and 1.6 TOPG on shooting splits of 43/36/84. Below is his full scouting report:
Name: Johnny Juzang
Height/Weight: 6’6 ½ / 209
Wingspan/ standing reach: 6’11/8’6 ½
Hand size: 9 ½
College/ country: UCLA
- Good spot-up shooting ability
- Quick, smooth jumper with good release
- Smart off-ball mover; quick to get into shooting motion at any speed
- Deep range on his jumper
- Long arms and good frame; NBA ready body
- Potential to generate quick scoring off of screens as P&R ball handler
- Good rebounder
- Lacks separation ability
- Negative defender; gets bullied as offensive players get to their spots
- Stiff against drives defensively
- Strictly a below the rim finisher
- Subpar athlete; lacks vertical pop and speed
- Struggles to get to the rim
- Poor finisher at the rim; struggles with contact at the rim
- Lacks much of a ball-handling package
Johnny Juzang is a pure shooter whose main impact to the game comes from shooting ability. With deep range, a quality release point, quick footwork to get into his shot, and strong off-ball movement ability, Juzang projects as a positive, impact shooter in the NBA. Juzang can run off of screens well, and overall he knows succeeds in manipulating defenses by weaseling through defenses to an open spot on the court for a quick shot.
In order to stick in the NBA, Juzang will have to become an elite spot-up shooter next to an offense predicated on 3 point shooting, like much of the NBA. Without playmaking ability or separation/self-creation strength, Juzang will need to thrive as an off-ball player that becomes elite at his lone major strength.
Defensively, Juzang has long arms, but lacks the athletic tools to be a good defender in the NBA. He was hidden at UCLA by often guarding the worst player on the floor, but still got burned frequently. If he becomes hunted in the NBA defensively, especially come playoffs, it will be difficult for him to play meaningful minutes in the NBA.
Similar to: Brandon Rush, Jarvis Hayes
Projected draft range:
Expected role: 3 point specialist
Unplayable if: Shooting doesn’t translate consistently, and lack of multiple abilities away from shooting limits his playing time.
Exceeds expectations if: Shooting becomes elite, and he thrives as an off-ball player that develops passing out of shooting a la Duncan Robinson.